Oakland North, chose my photo of Mayor Jean Quan as the “Community Photo of the Week”! I’m so honored. :)
Category Archives: Random
Community photo of the week: A photo of Mayor Quan taking a photo – Oakland North : North Oakland News, Food, Art and Events
In twitter verse there is a topic #twitteryour16yearoldself and it got me thinking..
I have complained about this before: wishing some empathetic person pulled me aside and told me things about being an adult. I feel that I have made some really silly mistakes in my time, which could have been avoided if someone warned me. Because of this, I make it a priority to be a mentor to young people and give advice to any one who asks. Sharing is caring and the easiest way to give back to your community.
So, if I had a chance to encounter myself at the age of 16, what would I say?
I can’t just say one thing. I have so many!
Here is my list:
1. Develop a relationship with God.
2. Don’t take your mother for granted. You two are more alike than you think. Take the time to talk to her more, you won’t regret it.
3. Don’t spend all your money on slurpees.
4. Go running with your brother..it’s easier while you are young.
5. Eat your vegetables. Canned spinach isn’t the only kind of spinach there is!
6. Don’t take what people say in high school so seriously, you will meet your lifelong friends in college.
7. Don’t get a credit card…not yet. WAIT!!!
8. Learn how to drive.
9. Walking long distances and Reading becomes your drug of choice. Thank you for starting early.
10. You will get caught jaywalking. Look both ways before you cross the street. Turn down the headphones.
11. You are allergic to medicines that contain sulfanomides.
12. A Black man can be President. Yes HE CAN!
13. You don’t have to be a doctor to work in the field of science.
14. Berkeley is hard. REAL HARD
15. Run for student council president
16. Don’t be afraid of boys, not all of them lie.
17. Don’t get a perm.
18. Take every opportunity you can to travel.
19. Practice wearing heels.
20. Dampen your tendencies towards procrastination NOW!
What would you say to yourself?
Have a great weekend!!
UPDATE – June 7th, 2012
In honor of Prince Birthday I am reposting my experiences my experiences at a concert that I attended on in Feb. 2011. I heart this man a lot. Read about why below!
I post this blog under the category, “Love” because quite simply, I love this little man!
He is sexy, crazy, weird, smart, quiet, shy, mature, funky, strange, soulful, artistic, mysterious and quite simply a genius! He is the only man who can pull off looking ridiculous and sexy at the same time.
He’s my purple banana..and would be glad to be thrown into a truck with him.
I named my laptop Purple Rain in his honor.
What I find most wonderful about him is his sense of humor. My favorite song of his is Pink Cashmere. It’s not one of those songs that is played constantly on the radio..so you have to be a true fan to know about this (which I am).
Pink Cashmere: What’s that all about? It’s about a man that will do anything for the woman he loves. It has everything, his sexy falsetto, his deep speaking voice, romantic vocals, acoustic guitar, violins. He comes out of his shell, he does things he has never done before..he prays and thanks GOD. It’s epic!
My favorite part of the whole song is his last verse at the end …
“Cause you got to know..
How I feel about you, babe.
How I feeeell about you babe.
Gonna make a little pretty coat
I gonna count every second,
every minute, each and every hour of every day
Til you come on back, you come on back
to your little man!”
He refers to himself as a little man. He’s perfectly aware of himself and that is soooo sexy!
Then comes the hot violin and guitar solo. AWESOME. If I EVER get in a car and drive- it will be listening to this song along the coast of California.. with Prince by my side. ( A dream worth having, no?)
I am sure Prince would not approve of this song being posted on vimeo or on this blog..but just to give you a taste. However, I plead that you BUY it off of Itunes. This song deserves your $.99. Trust.
Anyway, the SF Chronicle writes a pretty accurate review of last night’s show. (Except folks bringing their little kids..WTH!!)
It was wonderful. If you ever get a chance to go to one of his concerts you should go.
Having issues with your electronic device? Take it to your local grocer.. :)
Merry Chrismahanukwanzakah Reader(s)!
I like listening to Christmas music. It lifts the spirits. Cheers the soul. Fa la lala laa, la laaa la laaaa.
While most songs succeed in getting me into the Christmas mood, other songs are just annoying. The annoying ones seem to get the most radio play. I have decided to dedicate this post as the BEST CHRISTMAS SONGS EVER so that I can have something to refer to when other Christmas songs grate on my last nerve.
I previously (2010) had only ONE song that was on my list of wack. However, a friend of mine posted on his Facebook page one that is also annoying so I thought I would update. :)
Here are some of my favorites:
1. What Child is This Mary J. Blige and Andrea Bocelli. The way Mary sings this beautiful song makes me think I can sing it too. Oh and it talks about the wonder of Jesus’ Birth. I dream that I am Mary and Andrea is singing with me at the MTV Music Awards, all the heathens find Jesus, Israel and Palestine finds peace and we all ease on down the yellow brick road to ever lasting life.
Here is Mary and Andrea singing it live on Oprah.
2. Toy Jackpot Blackalicious. I picked this because I LOVE the commercial. It reminds me of an innocent time when the most important thing in life was to be able to wake up in the morning and rip open the gifts and play ALL day! Not because one of my close friend’s grammy winning boyfriend was/is a member of the group and I could have been a groupie if I was more into hip hop, but I am just now showing the group some appreciation. Nope that’s not it.
Here is the youtube video of the Target commercial. The second is the video with lyrics. :)
3. Love Letter Christmas Remix R. Kelly. I have a love/”Why R Kelly Why??” relationship with Mr. Kelly. The original song had been playing on my radio for a couple of weeks (last year) and when I heard the Christmas Remix, it made me chuckle. His sense of humor stole my Christmas Heart. I still have it on my iPhone to listen to when I feel lonely/..not lonely.
4. Santa Clause is Coming to Town Jackson 5. Like all upbeat Jackson 5 music, this makes me wiggle my head back and forth in an offbeat way or dance like Calrton Banks. In other words..you just can’t sit down and listen to this song. Why try?
Horrible Christmas songs:
1. A Wonderful Christmastime, Paul McCartney. In honor of my friend, Joel who has such a wry sense of humor I am surprised he doesn’t enjoy this song. AND it promotes drinking and partying (which he used to do with expertise) ..let me stop talking about Joel. This song stays in your head, which qualifies for annoying. I suppose.
2. Last Christmas Wham.
I don’t like this song. I H.A.T.E it. HATE. HATE. Abhor this song. It plays every year. Non-stop. White radio stations. Black radio stations. Country Music. Spanish and Turkish. It’s everywhere.
I will not post a link to this song.
I will not post the video ’cause it’s wrong!
I will not dignify it with a word.
I will not sing it with a bird.
I will not post this song by Wham.
I do not like it, Sam I am.
3. Last Christmas, Taylor Swift. I find Taylor only boderline annoying but the fact that she did a remake of this song puts her over the line. I’m glad she is mainly pop and has not landed on my favorite radio station in Oakland (102.9 KBLX – Quiet Storm!). If Cousin Kev plays this song than I will have to quit radio for good.
So what say you Christmas fans? What are you favorites? Which annoys you more? Share!
Merry Christmas. :)
Okay..in my attempt at laziness I volunteered to make nothing for Turkey Day and opted to just go to visit friends and partake of their food.
However after reading this post, I got excited.
I LOVE cranberry sauce. Canned or not. After reading the attached blog I figure why not be adventurous and make it!
There is a recipe attached to this blog. I am going to try it. I am sooo excited. I will share my results. I am going to make cornbread too. Whole wheat. Cause I like it. Yay!
Have a great Turkey Day. :)